Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Back to School!


I just attended a two-day course to TRY to learn a new skill. What interested me more than the actual content of the workshop were the side-perks or the additional learning from the experience. 

Some of my realizations are as follows:
  • -          Inability to be a true student
I am not sure if age is the culprit, but I found it hard to concentrate during some parts of the course. I was a nerd back in high school/college and was always stationed at the front desk during lectures. But this time, I was yawning away and overdosing on coffee. It hit me that work allows us to do short bursts of activity and that’s what I have become accustomed to. Boredom also seemed to creep in when the instructor was not engaging the class. When we had team activities and immersions, people were charged up. The fun aspect helped us internalize the content better. But when it was just plain old theories, people lost interest. It was a realization that speakers & teachers need to work extra hard to keep the connection to the audience.

  • -          Dependence on tech gadgets
We were not allowed to use our phones and laptops during the workshop, except during breaks. This was PURE TORTURE!! I hadn’t realized how hard it is to control our automated behavior – to swipe our smartphone and ‘be connected’. Not being able to browse websites and check emails/social media sites were probably the causes for the boredom. When we did get breaks, what did people do? Did they talk to their neighbors, network or discuss ideas? NO!!! Everyone immediately opened their smartphone or tech gadget and had their fill. Nobody takes cigarette breaks anymore; Facebook has become the smoking break for the general population.

  • -          Gratitude for disruptive ideas
Being a new driver, I prefer using Uber to navigating unknown/far places myself. Esp. when public transportation is not available, Uber is the best option. It is a pain to call cabs, they are inefficient and expensive. Uber has solved so many problems of people like me. I can relax and get to my destination, I already know the cost/time and I can track it. So, while taking Uber, I thought about disruptive technologies and how our lives have changed because of them. Some people had the courage to think outside the box and create something different. This changed the entire dynamics of the industry. 

2 comments:

  1. Uber thing is right, PURE TORTURE!! yes without mobiles we can not even think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! We have become slaves to our smartphones.

      Delete