Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Habits


Over the years, I have read many books on habits and behavior. Basically, if you want to set good habits, you should continue to do the same task for a certain amount of time. Usually, the time suggested is a few weeks. So if you want to be fit, get up at a certain time each day and go for a run/walk. 

I am great at following a schedule and have cultivated several positive habits. I try to exercise at least few times a week. I eat well. I try to get enough sleep. What I realized though, is that habitual activities only work under normal circumstances. When I am busy or stressed, I throw out the two most important habits: sleep and exercise. I survive weeks with only 4 hours of sleep (turning into a zombie in the process) and become a couch potato. Procrastination and excuses are easy when you have other priorities. 

The good news is that I finally got enough sleep last night. My phone was switched off and I was able to put my insomniac self to rest. I also managed to fit in a yoga class in my schedule. I was back in the studio after weeks, so was super out of balance. During the tree pose, I looked like an unstable shrub. Doing Suryanamaskar was a challenge and I struggled at times. But I made it to the end of the class and the calmness stayed with me throughout the day.

Just hope I can keep these habits up!

2 comments:

  1. Your fascination for filling up your life is fascinating in itself...
    Respect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet! I cannot sit still for a minute, so need to keep myself busy :)

      Delete