Monday, August 8, 2016

My Friendship Mantra #2: Be Prepared For Epic Failures!


A few years ago, a friend of mine invited me for a movie. When I reached the mall, she handed me her kid and proceeded to the movie with her husband. I was in shock!!! I thought I probably misunderstood her and let it go. But when such incidents kept happening, it was clear that she didn’t see me as a FRIEND but as a BABYSITTER! If she were upfront with me and asked for help, I would readily do anything for her.

Here’s the bitter truth. There WILL be folks who will disrespect you, walk all over you and treat you like a commodity. There WILL be toxic people that will suck out the very air you breathe. There WILL be so called friends that will ALWAYS laugh AT you but never WITH you. There WILL be those that will make you feel like you are not worthy of LOVE, FRIENDSHIP and HAPPINESS.

The reason I put importance on this mantra is as follows: Unless you let go of these negative people, you can NEVER move forward and reclaim your self-esteem and happiness. Unless you realize that such failures are inevitable, you will stay stuck in the vicious cycle of self-doubt and misery. My suggestion to you is this: Cut your losses and break free from the people that bring you down. Be open to feedback and listen to people when they point out your weaknesses and flaws. But if ALL they do is focus on your shortcomings, walk away. NOW!

We invest a lot of time and emotions in friendships. Sometimes, the investment and the foolish hope that people will change is what makes us stay. However, it is wiser to consider FAILED FRIENDSHIPS as a sunk cost and move on. The other alternative is to pay a monthly payment of your dignity and joy. You choose what you prefer!

No comments:

Post a Comment